Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)

Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)
This sandpiper was seen on the shore of Green Lake in Seattle, Washington on the afternoon of May 31st. Even though these birds constantly bob back and forth I barely saw this one out of the corner of my eye. I am really lucky I even got a picture of it because the total time it was in sight was less than a minute. Sandpipers are birds that I'd say are much smaller in the field than I imagined. Even though measurements of birds are given at pretty much any source mentioning bird details, I still imagined sandpipers to be much larger. You can read more about these birds here.

No comments:

Post a Comment