Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
I saw this great blue heron around Green Lake in Seattle, Washington on the afternoon of May 31, 2011. This bird was spotted flying by me, and I rushed to grab and focus the camera, with moderate success. The pictures aren't the best, but several identifying characteristics can still be seen and used to identify the bird. To me these pictures represent half of what birding is- stolen glimpses of birds as they whiz by. Contrary to what pictures make birds look like, they are anything but stationary (for the most part), and one must act and observe quick to get a picture of them or to identify them. These herons are colonial breeders, and I know of a colony in Colorado I am going to try to visit before the breeding season is over this year. You can read more about these herons here.

No comments:

Post a Comment