Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Northern "Red Shafted" Flicker (Colaptes auratus cafer)

A pair of Northern "Red Shafted" Flickers (Colaptes auratus cafer) at the top and bottom of the picture

Northern "Red Shafted" Flicker (Colaptes auratus cafer) 

Northern "Red Shafted" Flicker (Colaptes auratus cafer) 
I saw these Northern Flickers in Old Town Fort Collins today in my backyard around 11:30AM.  They blended in with the tree trunk, so I didn't immediately see them when I was tracking the Black-capped Chickadees.  Once I did see them, I ended up getting some so-so pictures of them, with the last one really showing the typical coloration of these birds.  According to the literature, these birds are in Florida too, so be on the look-out in your back yards, Easties!  You can read more about this bird, and how it's name was assigned in error, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment